Where Webster Street meets Rte 3A at the Sparkling River Development in Hudson was the site of a busy airport!
“During WWI Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ferryall donated the use of a field as a landing place for airplanes and seaplanes which landed on the Merrimack River. This land, known as Ferryall Field, was approved by the US Government as a landing place, and was placed on government maps. Following the war use of this field continued as an airfield for the Nashua area until the Nashua airport was established in 1934. This field was used to charter passengers for Nashua and area businesses, transport animals for Benson’s Animal Farm, as a pilot training school, and even as a recreational site for the flying circus.”
According to articles in the Telegraph from this time period, thousands attended these “Flying Circus” events!
Photo Nashua Telegraph 8.6.1929 P 12